Thursday, August 30, 2012

Relationships and activities

 Relationships can become stressed when our lives have been turned upside down with an illness that is not visible, or with any illness. I am currently single and not sure if having someone in my life as a partner would be more stressful or not although I sure do get lonely for companionship. Having Fibro has changed my life so much, some for the better, some not and it has also changed my life in that I can no longer do a lot of the activities I once enjoyed. I had to learn to become flexible regarding my daily activities. That is not always easy to accept. As we never know how we will feel from day to day it is extremely hard to schedule anything. I strongly dislike the energy drain. What Does help is to connect with others who are experiencing the same things I am or similar. We can share with each other out tips and strategies for making the days, and nites, easier. I am learning to let go of to let go of those who do not uplift me and support me. Taking care of me first is priority. Eating healthier has been very beneficial and I drink tons of water. It is my main refreshment. Take things a day at a time and know your limits. Learn to say No when you do not feel up to something.

Know your own limitations and let others know what you can and cannot realistically do. Often, we tend to overdo and this can put many of us down for a considerable amount of time so be gentle with yourself, do what you can do and learn to let go of the rest. 

Help to educate others on your illness. A little information goes a long way in helping others understand what Fibromyalgia is and is not. Although it does affect us all a bit differently we do experience many commonalities. 
Rid yourself of negative relationships and build up the positive ones. Negativity can draw us down physically and emotionally. We need to get rid of all that we can that is not healthy for us and sometimes it includes distancing ourselves from family members who do not support us. 

Surround yourself with understanding friends and family. Find support in a local Fibromyalgia support group if there is one near you and you are able to handle groups. Frankly, I am not a group person too much and prefer the company of a friend or two - small groups work best for me if I am so inclined to join any. I rather join a couple friends for coffee and a visit to the local park to feed the birds or something simple that is relaxing. 

Take it one day at a time and remember to take care of You~

No comments:

Post a Comment