Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Migraines and Dehydration

MIGRAINES ~
I would give almost anything to experience a headache. For the past two days I felt as though I had been repeatedly pounded with a monster sledge hammer. At least that is what my head felt like. Ice packs, dark cool room, pain med and silence are the best I can do when these hit...
If you have never had a Migraine I envy you I really do...

The very first time I experienced a Migraine was back in 1982. I was 21 years old, fetal and in tears  with  incapacitating pain. I wanted to remove my head and stick it in the deep freeze...Many of you can relate to this...
When I was driven to the E.R. and treated I was informed I was having a Migraine. The medication they treated me with first I turned out to be highly allergic to and literally crawled into a cab from the motel room and back to the hospital. It has been a trial and error over the years with different meds and if insurance would pay for it...I still have no idea what triggered that first Migraine...

FOODS AND PRESERVATIVES
Various foods may cause reactions and trigger Migraines. See the list below~
There are many preservatives in foods today and I urge you to become a label reader if you aren't already. Scrutinize labels. MSG is one of many and is an ingredient listed under many names.
My Migraines are triggered by multiple sources and every time they completely incapacitate me, some for a couple days and even a week. I have discovered over time that preservatives are one huge factor and I make a lot of home made foods now. I eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as possible and rarely, rarely anything canned.
I have High Blood Pressure and that was a trigger for my one sided Migraines. It felt as though I was being stabbed repeatedly with an ice pick in my temple. I was prescribed a low dose of Atenolol which has remedied that situation. I am working to get myself healthier and pray one day to be able to not need this medication.

Medications
There are medications out there whose side effects also may trigger a Migraine. Always be sure to read the label insert for your medication(s) and if you have Any questions do not hesitate to ask your Pharmacist or Doctor. You are worth every second of their time. I Love my Walgreens Pharmacy and the Team.

Water
Drink Lots of it!!  Make it your best friend. Keep hydrated. Summer is here, hot hot weather. If you realize you are thirsty then you have already begun to dehydrate. Migraines can come on when your body is depleted of nutrients and dehydrated. I do have to have my coffee in the morning but then it is water all through the day for me. I drink tea in the evening many nights but caffeine free and herbal teas with a little honey for sweetness if needed.

Journal 
I recommend keeping a journal...I purchased a good sized journal from Wal-Mart just for my Fibro In the journal I include what I eat for the day, any reactions/pain, what the weather is for that day including the Barometric Pressure. Did I walk or do any type of exercise? This includes dancing to a few songs in the house, stretching, to walking around the block. How did I sleep? Did I get enough sleep or restorative sleep? Am I under more stress than usual? For women, Hormonal changes can often cause Migraines. Knowing that we are all created differently we will no doubt have varying food allergies. For me keeping a journal is extremely helpful.

DEHYDRATION 

Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic staff
Mild to moderate dehydration is likely to cause:
Dry, sticky mouth
Sleepiness or tiredness — children are likely to be less active than usual
Thirst
Decreased urine output — no wet diapers for three hours for infants and eight hours or more without urination for older children and teens
Few or no tears when crying
Dry skin
Headache
Constipation
Dizziness or light-headedness

Severe dehydration, a medical emergency, can cause:
Extreme thirst
Extreme fussiness or sleepiness in infants and children; irritability and confusion in adults
Very dry mouth, skin and mucous membranes
Lack of sweating
Little or no urination — any urine that is produced will be dark yellow or amber
Sunken eyes
Shriveled and dry skin that lacks elasticity and doesn't "bounce back" when pinched into a fold
In infants, sunken fontanels — the soft spots on the top of a baby's head
Low blood pressure
Rapid heartbeat
Rapid breathing
No tears when crying
Fever
In the most serious cases, delirium or unconsciousness
Unfortunately, thirst isn't always a reliable gauge of the body's need for water, especially in children and older adults. A better indicator is the color of your urine: Clear or light-colored urine means you're well hydrated, whereas a dark yellow or amber color usually signals dehydration.

When to see a doctor
If you're a healthy adult, you can usually treat mild to moderate dehydration by drinking more fluids, such as water or a sports drink (Gatorade, Powerade, others).

Get immediate medical care if you develop severe signs and symptoms such as extreme thirst, a lack of urination, shriveled skin, dizziness and confusion.

Treat children and older adults with greater caution. Call your family doctor right away if your loved one:
Develops severe diarrhea, with or without vomiting or fever
Has bloody stool
Has had moderate diarrhea for three days or more
Can't keep down fluids
Is irritable or disoriented and much sleepier or less active than usual
Has any of the signs or symptoms of mild or moderate dehydration

Go to the nearest hospital emergency room or call 911 or your emergency medical number if you think a child or older adult is severely dehydrated. 
You can help prevent dehydration from becoming severe by carefully monitoring someone who is sick and giving fluids, such as an oral rehydration solution (Pedialyte, others) at the first sign of diarrhea, vomiting or fever and by encouraging children to drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise.


For more information on Dehydration Causes, Risk Factors and Complications.
MAYO CLINIC-DEHYDRATION SYMPTIOMS

No comments:

Post a Comment